Professor Shahzad Ansari
Institutional processes and diffusion of practices; social and environmental issues, technological and management innovations; value creation and new market development; offshoring and outsourcing, reputation management, and bottom-of-the-pyramid strategies.
Subject group: Strategy & International Business
Professor Ansari has published in several leading academic journals including Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, Journal of Management Studies, Strategic Organization, Research Policy and Organization Studies. He serves on the editorial boards of Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, Journal of Management Studies and Organization Studies, and is a high performing member of the Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM) at Erasmus University in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. He is also a consultant at Thinfilms Inc., a New Jersey firm providing thin film services (in particular coating services) to over 150 corporations in the hybrid microelectronics, semiconductor, optical, medical and sensor industries.
Professor Ansari’s areas of expertise in executive education include strategic management, technological and business model innovation, social innovation, and corporate social responsibility. He has contributed to executive education programs in many organisations, including McKinsey, Airbus. Shell, British Telecom, China Development Bank, Nokia, Laing O’Rourke, UNICEF, Essex County Council, City & Guilds, KLEC (Kuala Lumpur Education City), Shanghai University of Finance and Education among several others. He is frequently invited to speak on issues related to strategy, innovation and social change. Dr Ansari is a member of the Cambridge Corporate Governance Network (CCGN).
Prior to joining the School, Professor Ansari was an Assistant Professor at the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, where he now has a Visiting Assistant Professorship. He previously held a Visiting Research Associate position at Cambridge Judge Business School.
Awards & honours
- Nominee, Best Paper Award, EGOS Annual Colloquium, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2014
- Best International Paper for “When times collide: temporal brokerage at the intersection of markets and development”, Organization & Management Theory (OMT) Division, Academy of Management, Philadelphia, USA, 2014
- TUM Research Excellence in Innovation & Leadership Award for the paper “Incumbent performance in the face of a radical innovation”, 2014
- Distinguished Scholar – World Famous Scholars Series, Minzu University, Beijing, China, 14-15 September 2013
- Best Environmental and Social Practices Paper for “Be fair or care? Fairtrade and the standardization of ethical practices”, Organization & Management Theory (OMT) Division, Academy of Management, Orlando, USA, 2013
- Best International Paper (Caroline Dexter Award) for “Averting the tragedy of the commons”, Organization & Management Theory (OMT) Division, Academy of Management, Chicago, USA, 2009
- Selected to attend the 42nd Annual International Achievement Summit in Washington, DC, USA, 2003
- Gates Scholarship, Gates Cambridge Trust, for doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge, 2001
- Chevening Scholarship, British Council, for MPhil Studies at the University of Cambridge, 2000
- Winner of the Claydon Prize for outstanding students in economics and related areas for MPhil dissertation at the University of Cambridge, 2001
- Lundgren Research Award, University of Cambridge, 2001